Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A tale of 2 lamps....

Last saturday we hopped in the car and headed west for an end of vacation roadtrip.

Now it's no surprise that we were heading to Kingston, Ontario.
 We made all the usual stops including one at the Brockville Salvation Army to donate a big box of paperbacks and dvds (we like to spread the wealth).

The lady behind the counter was so happy we were donating stuff, so kept thanking us and running all over the place.

Of course we stopped for lunch in Gananoque; The Pig Iron (of course) for some to die for brisket. Connected to the restaurant is a coffee shop and to it a clothing store and to it a vintage furniture and lighting store.

We decided to start with the furniture store....I took a lot of pictures but the lighting was dim and you can't see anything.

Anyways we found a fantastic lucite hanging lamp at a reasonnable price. It is more than we would pay but in Montreal and the net they are usually priced more.

So for $55.00 we bought this sweet lamp

 
We were real happy with it and took it to the Pig Iron for lunch.
The place was packed! It's not hard when the restaurant has about 12 indoor seats and
it's raining buckets outside. That is too bad because the terrace is really charming.
 
After lunch our next tradition is to work off a couple calories walking at the Gananoque Flea.
It's is a small but entretaining flea.
I tell you if I lived there I would have a booth!
 
Just beside the entrance what do we see?
 
Yes you guessed it!
 
Another lucite lamp!
 
 
This one was considerably less.
 
Okay it was $12.
 
Yep 12 bucks!
 
Now Dan asks me what should we do? BUY IT OF COURSE!
 
If push comes to shove I'll just sell it in the store and that's it.
 
Dan didn't want to go back and return the first one for ethical reasons and I agreed.
And I also think that Dan bonded with the shop owner; they had a loooonnnngggg discussion
on mid-century teak furniture....I tried to stay interested but not a lot can keep me from my brisket sandwhich with horseradish sauce!!!
 
We need to support funky independed stores. Otherwaise we'll soon be swallowed by
The Gap, Homesense, Target and what not.
 
Now don't misunderstand: as much as I looooove Target it should not rule the world
althought it might do a better job than our goverments!
 
So now we have 2 lucite lamps! Really what are the odds, in a 2 horse town...
 
The yellow green one works but I have no idea if the orange one is functional. I will find out over the weekend.
 
And I will keep you posted of course 
 
Going back to work after a week's vacation has been a challenge.
I'm happy to go back, my job is enjoyable, not that stressful
but my energy level is REAL LOW!
 
I'm taking my vitamins but I feel I have no energy and have too much stuff
to do at home!
 
I'm sure I will get back into the swing of things real soon.
 
Now sleep tight and don't think of our lamp dilema, LOL
 
Next time I'll share a new spot we found for sweet,sweet mid-century decor.
 
Night night
 
 
 

4 comments:

France Guérin said...

Hi Vonlipi! Those lamps reminded me of my aunt's place. Next to those lamps, she had a false palm tree! I have the picture in my head. We love that drive all the way to Kingston. It is great to take the old highway 2 on long week-end and hit yard sales all the way home ( in May).

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the lamps and of course you had to buy the orange one! Sounds like a fun trip and good food! hugs, Linda

SusieQT said...

Awesome deal for those lamps. I love the green one. If you list it in your store let me know!

Zootsuitmama said...

Oh love it! I had a lamp that had three balls -orange, blue and green, really sixties! I traded it for a different lamp, but sometimes wish I still had it!