Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The glory of potted cheese

I believe I blogged about this before...once or twice!

But making a jar of it filled me with joy!

For me this is free cheese...yesssss!

On Monday morning I decided it was time for a freezer clean up. I threw out a bunch of mystery zipper bags and pieces of stale bread. I fished out broad beans, smoked salmon and shrimp to make a nice freezer supper and I spotted my freezer plastic container labeled Potted Cheese....It was full

Time for POTTED CHEESE!

This recipe is from England. You take all the bits of cheese lying around in your fridge...I know some of you will go : Whhaaattt? we never have any bits of cheese lying around!

Well I beg to differ. You know that dried piece of cheddar you are about to throw out? Put it in a labelled freezer container, and keep adding over time.

Once the pot is full, you can defrost it or leave it until you crave something different!


I usually cut the cheese a bit before freezing.
This time I had cheddar, gouda, havarti and mozzarella .

I put the cheese in the food processor (as you can see in the picture, my vintage 1989 Cuisinart)

I added seasoned salt, paprika and marsala wine

I believe you can add about any spice or dried herb.
It is great with white wine too. Beer could be nice....

after whizzing to a smooth consistency, I put it in a 2 cups (500 ml)
Mason jar or 2 smaller ones.

Wait a couple of weeks for the flavors to blend and serve as a spread or on toast or crackers!

It will keep for several months in the fridge.

Enjoy!





No comments: