Monday, August 1, 2016

New Things

If you're a regular reader, you've probably noticed that I love trying out new things (kitchen related mostly)....

In the past 2 weeks I tried 2 really different things!

I dry aged steaks and I dehydrated shredded potatoes for future hash browns!

First the steaks: I love steak and it is an occasional splurge. I was thinking, maybe there's a way to improve an okay steak...Well there is!

First there was a sale and I bought 4 bone in rib steaks for $26. You remove the packaging, you rinse the steaks and dry them well with paper towels.


 Then you loosely wrap each steak in cheese cloth....

Then you put the steaks in a tray in the refrigerator for at least 3 days,
Unwrapping them each day and re-wrapping in the same cheesecloth.

  
These are 2 of the steaks after 3 days. You will need to trim the dried bits but
there aren't a lot after only 3 days.

This was a success! The $6.50 steaks tasted like $30 steaks.

The only things is that this takes a lot of place in the fridge, i you have a second fridge it will be perfect!

If you need more info do a web search and all your questions will be answered.

Next the de-hydrated potatoes....

Well it happens that I have a dehydrator...
and I love to preserve things! And potatoes were super cheap!


So this goes much faster if you have a mechanical shredder...
and you will need to soak the potatoes...
Those just came out of the dehydrator


2 jars of hash browns to make a casserole

This is the link I visited for all the info:


I will be making some more on Thursday!

Be wel, be thrifty! 


1 comment:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

You are just so industrious! Both look wonderful!
hugs,
Linda